Sunday, April 15, 2012

Schedules

I've been on Spring Break with my youngest child (note the lack of consistency with posting).
I love these little breaks from the hustle and bustle, but I also look forward to being back "on track" with our usual routine.

Some people roll with the changes no matter what. At least that's what I've heard.
Not me. I'm not that crazy about change.

I'd like to keep my children in their preschool years.  Myself in my thirties.
 Fall and Spring should both last at least six months just so I can get used to them before they're gone.

In Say Hello to Zorro! by Carter Goodrich, Mister Bud is a dog who has a schedule. His day is carefully crafted into exact blocks of time and he likes it that way.


Suddenly, someone new enters the picture and the schedule is in danger! Mister Bud has to deal with some changes. He likes it about as much as I like getting a new Drivers License photo.

The new dog, Zorro, isn't too thrilled either. It takes a little time for both of them to discover that they have some things in common. Life is twice the fun with a new friend to share it (as long as everyone sticks to the schedule).
Readers and listeners alike will enjoy the illustrations, especially the hilarious expressions of Mister Bud and Zorro. They show the joys and struggles of sharing throughout the daily routine. The expanse of white space on the page brings your eye right to the action (or lack of it at "nap time"). The owner is seen as only a hand trying to restrain the leash, or a leg being leaned on.

Anyone who has ever struggled with change will be able to relate to this fun and engaging tale.
New addition to the family. Starting school. Life is full of change. Most of it is pretty good.


Field Trip Extension Ideal:
Visit your local animal shelter and bring supplies.
Find out what types of items the shelter can use (old blankets, rugs).
During the visit, ask the shelter volunteer to share what kind of schedule the animals are kept on.
What times do they eat, sleep, exercise, etc.?
When you return to school or home, write out the schedule for the animals and compare it to the one that the children follow. What things are similar? What is different?



No comments:

Post a Comment