Monday, March 12, 2012

Growing

In a hurry to grow up? Most little ones are. Striving to keep up with siblings and friends, they yearn to be the biggest.
This timeless story first published in 1947,  is still relevant to young children today with beautifully updated illustrations. A little boy works alongside his mother as the seasons change, wondering if he is growing. He sees the puppy and chickens growing into their adult form, but just can't see evidence of his own growth.


The Growing Story is just one of the gems written by Ruth Krauss during her career as a children's author. Illustrator Helen Oxenbury is one of the most recognizable illustrators of current children's literature, famous for her board books. Together, they bring beauty and a sense of wonder to the "everyday" in this book.

Music Extension Idea:
The song I Wonder If I'm Growing is performed by Raffi in the album named The Singable Songs Collection in the year 1996.

I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says 'yes, I'm growing'
But it's hard for me to see

My mom says 'eat your sandwich
It will make you grow up tall'
But when I eat my sandwich
I'm hardly bigger at all

I wonder if I'm growing
I wonder if I'm growing
My mom says 'yes, I'm growing'
But it's hard for me to see

My mom says 'Wash your hands now
Then you can go and play'
Hey, I can reach the tap now
For the very first time today

And I think I must be growing
Oh I know I'm really growing
My mom says 'yes, I'm growing'
And now I know it's true

No comments:

Post a Comment